Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Things We Do for Money

No, I'm not considering "alternative" means of acquiring gains. But I am in fact seriously thinking of doing the improbable, unimaginable, and inconceivable...(dramatic music here) Folks, I'm looking for a second job.

Yes, yes,I accept any and all condolences. The past few months-wait I've been unemployed and/or part-time employed for most of this year-have been a blast. And quite refreshing to boot. But one does tire of the financial strain at a point. It's a strain I've easily put up with in exchange for the time and rest I've been able to get. But, like a wad of bubble gum stretched to a stringy mass until it becomes as thin as floss, the discomforts of broke-ness have outweighed its benefits.

It's time to get back to the wad. To become one with the wad...to be chewed again in the mastication that is worklife!

As the credit card commercial suggests, many things in life are priceless, but one must spend money in order to enjoy them!
And paper I need to facilitate these priceless moments in my own life.
There are trips to take. Family to visit. Trips to take. How can I get time off of work if I can't afford to go anywhere?!

Now that I've jumped the first hurdle toward financial independence-mental work resistance-the second may not be so easily conquered...namely what can I do and who will hire me?
Job skills and marketability, evidently, are more useful in the "real world" than being able to write term papers. (Of which I've written plenty, on topics ranging from Russia in the Twentith Century to Science Women and Religion, "oh my!"). And by "real world" I mean the paying world, i.e. the "I can afford to buy groceries and feed myself world." Very real.
Keeping it real, ya heard me?

No comments:

Maybe you shouldn't be a massage therapist if...

  • You're claustrophobic
  • You have a problem with sweat... or dirt... or strange smells
  • You have narcolepsy
  • Talking is one of your strong points
  • Thinking is one of your strong points
  • You'd like a stable income
  • You have issues with personal space
  • You have a thing with feet
  • You hate awkward silences
  • You put yourself first