Monday, October 02, 2006

Single?

Remember when you'd envision yourself being married somewhere down the road? It was a nice thought, albeit one reserved for the future. Well, my friends, the bus of life has reached that point and I've missed the stop! Leaving me looking back helplessly with my face stuck to the glass. How can this be? Rules of life 101: Go to high school i.e. the best years of your life, including but not limited to parties, proms, making lifelong friends. Aged 17-21 attend and graduate college finishing in your original major. Finally, get career related to major, which, incidentally, pays well and marry the man of your dreams who you probably met in college.
Wow. That's a little overwhelming just to write, let alone do. But the older, yes older, I get the more I see how many expectations I've had on how my life should go. And when those expectations aren't met, how my world comes crashing down. Yet, everything in life at the time is good. So you walk around feeling gloomy and can't figure out why...until subconscious mind speaks up, "Hey you should have somebody by now!! Could there be something wrong with you?"
"Ah,no I'm allright just the way I am thank you very much, self!" But perhaps having a conversation with yourself could be used as evidence to the contrary.
The point is this: In school they teach us that if we do the work and apply ourselves the results will come and they'll be good. Which is true in an academic sense. But what about the lessons learned from failure? From having to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again? What if it takes 5 times or 10 or 20? And sometimes, we do our best, and the payoff is anything but immediate if at all. Sometimes satisfaction comes from knowing you did the right thing, and there is no pat on the back. And what does this have to do with being single? ha ha...Maybe I'm a good girl looking for a good guy who hasn't shown up yet. I've done everything I know is good to do, and yet I wait.
The journey is sometimes just as important as the destination, as "out the way" as it is. And I'm enjoying the ride!

No comments:

Maybe you shouldn't be a massage therapist if...

  • You're claustrophobic
  • You have a problem with sweat... or dirt... or strange smells
  • You have narcolepsy
  • Talking is one of your strong points
  • Thinking is one of your strong points
  • You'd like a stable income
  • You have issues with personal space
  • You have a thing with feet
  • You hate awkward silences
  • You put yourself first