Thursday, October 05, 2006

Adventures of Swamp Girl in Mountain Land: Part Deux-Disassociative Career Identification Disorder

Hanging out here in career limbo, the vortex of listlessness for young adults-and older ones who haven't found the exit porthole yet...is fun for a few months. But I'm starting to get antsy.
And I've already bought the "find out what you wanna do with your life without us telling you directly" self-help books.
Oh how I wish someone could just assign me a career based on those personality tests of old! "Hey, you, farmer!" Then I would have someone else to blame for my frustration and angst. Yes, angst.

The thing is, I want to figure this thing out and pursue it before life catches up with me. I'm determined not to be the woman who looks at her three kids pulling at her skirt, cooking dinner for her husband and blaming them for unfulfilled dreams. No way!

Well, as my sister says, "Time reveals all." In the meantime here's a list of potential money paying activities. Open to new additions:

1. Nurse on a cruise ship. Exact duties unknown. Aspirin and alka seltzer for hangovers?

2. Continue in massage. Start school in January and get the extra hours needed to become "therapist." If I ever make enough money to do this! Better yet, will I want to do enough massages to pay my way through school? Massage being a very relaxing type of job can be a double-edged sword.

3. Post office. Too much control, yet employee is "taken care of." Guess you can't have one without the other.

4. Musician. Of course, I could pursue my childhood ambition without regard to financial predictability and/or stability. That's an idea...One I can't seem to escape. Not as long as I'm looking for a fulfilling career.

5. Anything else within my moral limits.

No comments:

Maybe you shouldn't be a massage therapist if...

  • You're claustrophobic
  • You have a problem with sweat... or dirt... or strange smells
  • You have narcolepsy
  • Talking is one of your strong points
  • Thinking is one of your strong points
  • You'd like a stable income
  • You have issues with personal space
  • You have a thing with feet
  • You hate awkward silences
  • You put yourself first