Thursday, September 09, 2010

Let's Make A Deal is Real

I remember those lazy summers. Nothing to do and no cares in the world. The agenda included
1. Ramen noodles for lunch
2. Opening a fire hydrant, or for the "good kids" donning swimwear and catching each other with the garden hose
3. Revisiting Rawhide, the Jeffersons, Mel's Diner, TMNT, and of course, Let's Make A Deal as if I were to be tested on the content the first day of school. "Michaelangelo's weapon was the knumchucks for sure!"

Opening my own business surprisingly took me back to those days. I had always wanted to be one of the lucky people chosen to run down the aisle on "Let's make a deal." What made them get chosen out of a sea of faces anyway? Their crazy outfits? Their enthusiasm? Alll I knew was if I had the opportunity to play, I'd definitely win. It's common sense! The price of laundry detergent. Ha! A bedroom set. Come on! Watching the contestants flounder with self doubt on some of the simplest tasks could be comical. And the worst-those who chose the seen item versus taking a chance on door #2, which was always a better choice. "What a waste!" I would inevitably muse patronizingly as, "A brand new car!" is revealed from behind the curtain.
Who would have thought I'd live "Let's make a deal?" And end up eating my words. Yum...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the same question since becoming a licensed massage therapist. "WHY?" Why did I choose to become an LMT? Why would anyone choose to struggle. To work so hard for so little? Especially since I am an RN. If I choose to, I could be making $50,000 plus a year. Instead I'm struggling, pinching pennies and betting it all on a massage therapy practice.
How much is happiness worth? Purpose? Fulfillment? For me, it has been years of failure, misdirection and starts and stops, and yes financial sacrifice. I've learned a whole lotta perserverence.I have hoped, despaired, been encouraged by small gains, devastated by losses, and hoped yet again. I will never stop.Who knows? I may be able to make twice or three times what I could as an RN. I can employ others. Though the risk is great the possibilities are endless. Even if I fail miserably, I will never stop dreaming and trying to realize those dreams.
I'm going for door #2! OR BUST

No comments:

Maybe you shouldn't be a massage therapist if...

  • You're claustrophobic
  • You have a problem with sweat... or dirt... or strange smells
  • You have narcolepsy
  • Talking is one of your strong points
  • Thinking is one of your strong points
  • You'd like a stable income
  • You have issues with personal space
  • You have a thing with feet
  • You hate awkward silences
  • You put yourself first